What does Compassion do?
Compassion is a transitional housing program. Once admitted, residents can live here for up to six months.
Who is eligible to apply for housing at Compassion?
Families with children.
What are the eligibility requirements to be admitted?
- Must be at least 18 years old as far as being the custodial parent.
- May not have any assaults in their background.
- Must be able to pass an alcohol/drug screen.
What are the requirements of the Compassion program?
- Once admitted into the program, residents must find full time employment within 30 days. At least 35 hours per week qualifies as full time employment.
- Once employment is obtained, rent is calculated based on income and a portion of every paycheck must go toward the balance.
- Attend budget/employment meeting every Thursday at Compassion.
- Get credit for a Life Skill as determined by your Case Manager on a weekly basis.
- Must be in your apartment by 10 p.m. weekdays and 11 p.m. weekends.
- Remain totally alcohol/drug free.
How is rent calculated?
Rent is based on all eligible income according to CPD Notice 96-03. This will be the greatest amount of 30% of monthly adjusted income, 10% of monthly income or the portion of welfare payment designated by the agency to meet the family’s housing cost. For those residents who successfully complete the program, up to one-half of the rent will be available for the transition to permanent housing.
What are the requirements to be a successful graduate?
Successful completion of the program is defined as completing the required Life Skill requirement, completing at least 12 credited sessions of the required weekly budget/employment meetings, leaving with permanent full time employment with documented proof of at least twelve (12) weeks of full time employment (a minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per week) while living at Compassion, moving into some form of permanent housing, having paid at least the last two months of rent on time and compliant with the policies and procedures of Compassion.
When and where do I apply to the Compassion program?
Interviews are held every Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Jane Meyer Community Center at 1421 Austin. No appointment is required. It takes approximately a week to process the application to determine if the person is eligible for the Compassion program.
Are the apartments furnished or do I need to bring my own household items?
The apartments are fully furnished and there is not room to bring your own furniture. Arrangements will have to be made for storage of your own items other than the clothing you actually need.
When I finish the program are there any services that would be offered to me?
If you leave as a Successful Graduate, you have the option to participate in the After Care Program. Your Case Manager that you had while living at Compassion would continue to assist you for six months after you leave the program.
If I had to leave the program for some reason could I ever be considered for admittance again?
It is possible, but it would be considered on a case by case basis.